Illinois Veterans
and spouses of veterans

Do you suffer from post-traumatic stress (PTSD), cancer, fibromyalgiia, TBI, rheumatoid arthritis, Parkinson's disease, or one of the other qualifying conditions for the Compassionate Use of Medical Cannabis Pilot Program?

Veterans and spouses of veterans receiving treatment for a qualifying condition at a VA clinic do not need a written certification form. You are only required to submit medical records.

Qualify for the program in 6 easy steps:

1) Be a resident of Illinois, and remain one while in the program

2) Have a qualifying medical condition

3) Provide a copy of your official 12-month medial record requested from the VA (VA Form 10-5345) that pertains to the treatment of your qualifying condition

4) Provide a copy of your DD214

5) Complete a fingerprint-based background check

6) Submit the qualifying patient application, application fee, and a passport-like photo to the Illinois Department of Public Health

Veterans receiving care at a U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) Facility

Veterans receiving health care at a VA facility do not need to provide a physician written certification, but must instead provide medical records from the VA facility for the last 12 months.

  • Use VA form 10-5345 to request these records (U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, Request for and Authorization to Release Medical Records and Health Information). If you have received care for your debilitating medical condition for more than 5 years at a VA facility, you must mark “OTHER” on VA Form 10-5345 under “Information Requested” then write that you are requesting information about the treatment of your qualified condition for the most recent 12-month period. Under “PURPOSE(S) OR NEED FOR WHICH THE INFORMATION TO BE USED BY INDIVIDUAL TO WHOM INFORMATION IS TO BE RELEASED” write “Personal Medical Purposes”. Under “NAME AND ADDRESS OF ORGANIZATION, INDIVIDUAL OR TITLE OF INDIVIDUAL TO WHOM INFORMATION IS TO BE RELEASED” write your address. The records will be sent to you.
  • To obtain VA medical records electronically, go online to
  • Once you receive your official medical records, you must submit the medical records with your application.

If I am a qualifying patient or designated caregiver pursuant to the Compassionate Use of Medical Cannabis Pilot Program Act and hold a valid Medical Cannabis Card, are my Firearms Owners Identification Card and Concealed Carry License still valid?

According to ISP's website: Medical marijuana cardholders will not have their FOID or CCL cards revoked, or be denied issuance of a FOID or CCL card, due to their status as a medical marijuana cardholder. Such cards are State-issued, governed by State law, and State law requires that a person's status as a medical marijuana cardholder not result in the denial of any right or privilege.